You’re ready. You’ve decided now is the time to get things started. Time to create a new brand identity for your blog or business. And whether you’re starting from scratch or giving a ‘face-lift’ to an existing brand, choosing the right designer for your project is key!
How to choose the right designer? Choose someone:
- whose work/style you admire
- you have a great connection with
- that will work through the branding, design and marketing process with you (it’s waaaay more than just a pretty design!)
Choosing someone simply because they are in your Facebook (or breakfast) Group and you feel obliged to, or a personal friend that would probably offer you a great deal but doesn’t have the professional style that you’re looking for is NOT how you choose the right designer for your branding project.
I’m not saying that working with price-friendly designers is a bad thing, but I’m going to state the obvious… they don’t get paid enough to work through the process with you. It’s kind of like expecting the McDonald’s cashier to ask you how you’d like your burger cooked and whether you’d prefer a gluten-free bun. It’s just not going to happen. Trust me, you’re going to want a designer that will walk you through that sometimes frustrating process and understand exactly what you’re asking for…or not asking for because you simply don’t know what to ask.
The more due diligence you spend finding the right designer, and pay for that higher level of service, the more likelihood you’ll be happy with your new professional brand — a brand that fits you and your ideal target customer.
Here’s what you do to find and choose the right designer for your branding project:
1. Identify what’s important to you. Search tons of inspiring websites and magazines – do tear sheets or create a Pinterest board of images that inspire you – this will help YOU and the right designer outline the look, feel, style and vibe you want your brand to embody.
2. Ask yourself, “Who do I want to be friends with and have associated with my stuff?” Do you want to be with Chanel or Target? Next to Hermes or Kate Spade? It matters.
3. Research (aka Stalk) designers and people who specialize in branding on Instagram or Pinterest and start looking at their portfolios.
4. Look for chemistry. Do you get a sense that the designer/agency is as excited about your project as you are? And most importantly, is the style you want reflected in their work/portfolio.
Ready to grow your blog business?
Join thousands of others and get access to my free library of resources + worksheets just for bloggers.
5. Go with your gut. Do you get the feeling that working with this person will be fun? Do you think they will deliver what you need? Do you get the sense they really ‘get’ you and your business?
As you can see there’s a real art to find and choose the right designer for your branding project; one that will deliver above and beyond your expectations, one that will be a delight to work with and one that will create a truly compelling face for your business.
I hope this helps and if you’d like to chat with me about your branding project, you know where to find me…I’d love to talk to you!