Every blogger has moments when her creative brain goes blank and her ability to write exciting content seems nearly impossible. When this happens, take a deep breath, and remember this feeling is only temporary.
Last week we talked about 7 steps to use Google Calendar to create an editorial calendar. Step 3 included brainstorming a list of blog post ideas.
Today, I’m giving you simple ways to come up with some blog post ideas! Plus, this will provide you with a full editorial calendar of content that your readers want. I’m all about simplicity and making your business life easier!
5 ways to come up with blog post ideas
1. Select 5-10 blog categories. For my blog I’ve come up with: marketing, design, diy, inspiration and personal. EVERYTHING that I write falls into one of these 5 categories. Think about what most people are reading or want to read from your blog to determine these categories. Tip: Look at your Google Analytics to see the most read posts on your site.
2. Make a list of 5-10 ideas for blog posts under each category. Set a timer for 20 minutes. Write (or type) any idea that comes to mind. Don’t worry whether or not they are good ideas; you can later delete any that aren’t good.
3. Make a list of questions your clients or customers ask. I get a lot of emails with questions in them. When I see the same type of questions being asked, I typically turn these into blog posts…because I know that y’all will benefit as well. Plus, if I’m already writing the answer to one, I might as well use this same writing as a post = EFFICIENCY.
4. If you’ve set up Google Alerts for your niche, you can skim through the alerts to find ideas.
5. Keep a notepad and pen handy. I jot down ideas as they come to me in a notebook (that fits easily into my purse) or on my phone (notes section). I’ll put out these lists to see if there are any blog post ideas that I’d like to add to my Google Calendar.
And…If you want some No-Fail blog post ideas, here you go:
-Behind the scenes pictures to show off your creative process
-Interview someone you admire. Example here and here.
-Style post to show off the latest trends in your industry
-Inspirational quote and how it relates to your work
-Product spotlight with photos
-Sneak peek photos to highlight upcoming projects, promotions, or events
-Before and after shots to showcase a makeover, a service or a process
The number of ideas that you come up with at a time is up to you. I like to plan a year’s worth of content at a time, others plan only a month. For some, quarterly is a happy choice.
So there you have it! Now you will be able to create a list of blog post ideas.
Do you have a great way to come up with blog post ideas? Please share in the comments below.