Building meaningful relationships with your clients goes beyond good customer service. This is the big kahuna, the cherry on top, the spoiler…
If you truly care about your clients, then they’ll care about you!
Even if your products are sold only to other businesses, those businesses don’t make the buying decision –a person does. No matter what you do or what you sell, you’re in the people business.
We’ve been in the marketing, branding, design, people business for 20 years now (I know, right?!). One question we get over and over and over again is, “How do you build meaningful, authentic relationships with your clients?”
So today I’m going to share with you…
5 ways to build meaningful, authentic (long-term) relationships with your clients.
1. Be You. There is only one you, so be true to yourself on your website, blog, Instagram, at a conference or event. By being who YOU are, you will build credibility and repel potential clients who aren’t like you AND attract the ones that are JUST LIKE YOU.
2. Be a Good Listener. Spend the time asking TONS of questions AND listening to their answers. This is how you really truly learn about them. Note: Don’t be afraid to be curious and ask a lot of questions…I’ve ran across very few people who don’t like to talk about themselves and/or their business!
3. Find Areas of Connection. Find things that tie you and them together. Remember #2 above, where you asked a ton of questions and listened to their answers? Did they share a favorite movie, music that they love, food, lifestyle, church, color??? Discuss these types of things to find areas that you connect on!
4. Be a BFF. Think about them, encourage them, support them, get EXCITED for them, love on them…see what happens when you do this!
5. Check In. Every now and again catch up with them, see how they’re doing, what’s going on in their lives personally and professionally. It could be as simple as sending a special package or a personal note (a quick email can do the trick, but a hand-written note sent snail mail says something extra special!).
Did they say they love cupcakes? Send them a ‘care package’ that contains cupcakes, frosting, fun cupcake wrappers and sprinkles.
DIY or send one that is ‘done for you’ (like this cute one above by Saint Cupcake).
Building meaningful, authentic relationships with your clients starts by putting yourself in your client’s shoes. Think if someone did these 5 things to you, what would you do?!
Learning to make people feel important and cared about will help you make both the initial sale and long-term sales over time! Start building authentic relationships today!!!